As an avid weather junkie I was disappointed to hear that thunder and lightning are rare occurrences here on the island. But last night...WOW!!! Crash! Boom! Bang! Kapow!
Let me set the stage...
Last night, after a day of hiking Mt. Finlayson and hanging out at South Beach with my good buddy Ranger, I decided to head downtown for a burger. I left my better half (Ruff! Ruff!) up at the house and headed out for a "night on the town." I settled in at Haley's Bait Shop and gulped down a tasty BBQ burger and crispy fries. Mmmm! Although I must say that nothing compares to the good ole barbeque from Kansas City! It is in a class of its own! Hands down! But I digress...
In between scarfing down my burger and watching the KC Wizards play David Beckham on the television tuned to ESPN in the corner, I noticed that it had started to sprinkle outside. Oh, just another shower...I thought. Then it started to come down a little harder...and then more. Poor fellow who left his sunroof open...and the Jeep that didn't have its top on-Oops! But I really think Jeep owners know what there getting themselves into...Ahhh...my dream car! I finished my dinner and headed out into the elements.
At this time, it was still just a steady shower but gradually progressing into a torrent. I got my BIG umbrella from my car and headed to The Naked Bean for a cup of Joe. I wanted something to keep me warm while I waited for what I was hoping to be a big show. Boy, was I in for a treat! The lightning crashed...the thunder boomed and shook the windows. It was AWESOME! Having seen many storms in my lifetime...this was one of the best. No it didn't have the tornadoes or high winds...but the lightning...the lightning was powerful! Magnificent!
I had a front seat to observe God's mighty power! I headed down to the marina with umbrella and coffee in hand. I had to roll up my pants because the water was cascading down the street so quickly that my pant cuff was getting soaked. I guess I shouldn't wear pants that are a little too long for me. But hey, a short person's gotta do what a short person's gotta do. Anyways, it was raining so hard that I should have been wearing shorts because by this time the watermark went up to my knees...oh well...it was totally worth it. Possibly not my brightest moment though...heading down to the dock while lightning is striking at anything and everything. I had full confidence that the tall sailboat masts would take the brunt of any electrical catastrophe before little ole me would get a jolt. CRASH! A huge tower of light crashed into the water right before my eyes. Ahhh! I heard people yell in delight from behind me. You know...the smart people who were standing under the building awnings. I saw a boat puttering into the marina as quickly as possible. It seems that a whale watching boat got caught out in the onslaught. The passengers did not look at all amused. Man! That would have been some ride!
I was soaked, my coffee was gone, and the lightning was letting up...so I decided to jump in my car and see if there was a better view elsewhere. I thought about heading to the south side of the island. On an island...there is only so much storm chasing a person can do. However, I noticed a brilliant pink glow in the sky as I headed west out of town! The sun had set but it left a spectacular bright pink hue in the sky behind it. WOW! There was beauty and brilliance all around me! All I had to do was open my eyes and look around...get out and enjoy! :-)
My days here on the island are coming to an end for now. I do not want to leave. I know that this is where I am supposed to be I just do not know if the timing is right. Unless I hear from contacts on the employment market...the timing is apparently not at hand. I know that God has a plan for me...and that San Juan is in that plan I am pretty certain, though I do wish that I had a little more insight than that. I guess I'll just have to wait and see! :-) I have made some great friends this summer. I have had a wonderful time. You know how sometimes when you go on a vacation and as it draws to an end you just can't wait to get home and get on with everything else? Well, I guess you could say that I am on a vacation for the summer...but I don't want it to end. I already feel as though I am home. I have always loved traveling and searching out new places and finding my next exciting adventure. I still love those things, but I do not have the push to leave, to seek out, to go...as I have had in the past. Because, you see, I have found the place where I "fit." I know that might sound silly, but it's true. God gives us passion and drive to get us where He wants us to be...for me-I think that I have finally found it...my passion...my home. Now I just have to wait for God's direction in how to get here.
"Be still and know that I am GOD."
Have a wonderful week! To all my friends and family back in KC...try to stay cool! ;-) I love you guys!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment