Thursday, July 30, 2009

Finally on the water!


WooHoo!
I was finally able to get out on the water last night! It was so AWESOME! Once again, I headed out with Discovery Sea Kayaks. This is the only way to go...when kayaking with a guide around San Juan. I was a bit disappointed that I was not able to get the 3 day trip in this summer. Thanks A LOT mom! Just kidding...it was nice to have you up for a visit. "Lord willing and the creek don't rise..." I should be up here next summer on a more permanent basis. I will definitely get it in then.

I checked in around 8pm at their shop downtown and chatted with Jason for a bit while we waited on the other paddlers to arrive. Jason was my guide last year. All of the guides I've had at Discovery have been great...Jesse, Dan, Jason, and this year I'll add Kyle to that list. It's nice to know, for those of us who do not have the pleasure of getting out on the ocean that often, that we are in very good hands!

Since it has been SO FREAKIN' HOT here, it was actually a great night to be out on the water. The air temp was just right...not too hot and not too cold. We headed out from Jackson's Beach and paddled around Griffin Bay (for those of you following along at home by map). The water was calm and the sunset AWESOME! We paddled for a bit until it got darker and then started to see them...the dinoflagellates that is. What? You might be asking. My thoughts exactly! When I went into the shop...Jason was explaining with such enthusiasm to us what we might see while we were out that I just smiled. It sounded really cool. Unfortunately, to my unscientific brain the scientific terms were a bit (actually soaring way up high) above my head. I have that math brain, you know. I tend to think in numbers...more analytical I guess. So...what I saw out in the ocean were glowing sparkly dots. It looked like glitter flowing off of my paddle or fairy dust. Dinoflagellates...fairy dust...whatever it was...it was indeed very COOL! What an amazing and awesome experience!
Ahh! Sunset! My favorite time of the day!
My guide...Kyle. Kind of an abstract pic...the waves you know.A pic of the moon. Yes, it was that dark out there!
This is a rainbow that I was able to catch after one of our rainstorms last week. Somewhere over the rainbow...just call me Dorothy!

Well, my kayak trip was the perfect way to end the day! AWESOME! Yesterday was a bit crazy for me with lunch with the "church ladies," donating blood, Island Rec music, my kayak adventure, etc. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I really don't want to leave a place that now feels so much like home. I know that I will be back next summer...and Good Lord willing...then I will finally be home to stay! :-)

Have a great one you guys! I'll see you soon! All my love!

No comments: