Saturday, June 28, 2008

Home Sweet Home


I'm finally here!
I survived my first night camping by myself! It was very very cold. The temperature got down into the low 40s. When I say low, I mean like 41. This is cold for summer temps in KC where I just came from. The cold was quite bone chilling when compared to the hot humidity of Kansas City in the state of Misery...I mean Missouri. I was prepared for it though. After packing for the snow on Mt. Rainier, I had plenty of layers to put on. I slept like a baby.

Before my head hit the pillow though, I had an interesting time preparing my campsite. Since my land is pretty much untouched, there is not a driveway or turnout to park my car. I pulled off in a drive across the street so I could unload and prepare my campsite. I was still trying to figure out where to dump my car for the night. Fortunately, my most gracious neighbors gave me a warm welcome and said that I could use their drive for the duration of my trip. THANK YOU! I think that they were initially checking out who was driving the car with California plates. You know it is said that some "wish they could all be California girls".....too bad I'm just one of those "crazy little women" from Kansas City! Okay-sorry about the weak song references. My rental car had Cali plates. Can you tell I'm a bit tired? Now back to my story.....I loaded up my gear and hiked the short trail through the trees.....until I encountered an obstacle. A tree had fallen across the path and was hovering about 3 feet off of the ground. It wasn't easy to do, but I hurdled the fallen tree-backpack, tent, and all! It was starting to get dark. I needed to get busy. My new tent went up without a hitch thanks to the prep time at home. You know, I was amazed at all of the camping equipment that I was able to fit into my checked luggage. I only had to purchase a few things once that I arrived. Thank goodness I made my reservations before they started charging for the second checked bag! If I fly next year, I might have to fork over some extra cash!
As I settled into my sleeping bag, snug as a bug in a rug, I reflected on my trip thus far. I thanked God for my experiences and for the opportunities that I have been given. Something my sister said to me right before I left also came to mind...."Kandi," she said, "are you sure that you are going to be okay out there all by yourself...I mean, who knows who might be lurking about? Aren't you afraid that someone might get you? I said no and I still say no. Anyway...If it's my time to go then it's my time to go. She has a way jokingly trying to psych me out. She did it before when I moved out of my parent's house for the first time. She dropped me off at my house late one night (where I lived alone) and as I was closing the car door she asked me if I wanted her to come in with me to make sure no one was hiding in my dark house. I mean-COME ON! I think that I slept with one eye opened that night. Big sisters...you can't live with them and you can't live without them. Oh well.

It was so peaceful last night as I drifted off to sleep. The stars were absolutely awesome!

Friday morning: The chirping of birds woke me up this morning. Wow! The sun felt so good on my face. Time to get moving...

I headed into Friday Harbor to utilize the facilities at the marina. They were actually pretty nice.
After showering, I enjoyed a refreshing walk around town. I met up with my realtor, Jim Carroll, for lunch and to catch up on things. Jim is a great guy. He has been a good friend through all that I have been going through. If you ever need a realtor in the San Juan Islands, please give Jim a call.
I did have an unfortunately experience when I returned to my car. I was only a few minutes late. Really! A FEW minutes! The parking Gestapo, as Jim affectionately calls them, got me! Wow, I could not believe it. What were they doing...waiting by my car as the "ball dropped" counting down 10, 9, 8, 7....3,2,1. We got her!!!! YAHOO!!! Let's get that tourist from California! Did I mention before that I'm from Missouri (pronounced 'Misery')! Missouri loves company-right? Okay.....I'm getting VERY sleepy.....please disregard any attempts at humor that I might be making. Unless, that is, you find them funny...then by all means yuck it up!

The one thing that I wanted to make sure that I got done today was scheduling my kayak trip. I have been waiting a long time to get back out there. I stopped by Discovery Sea Kayak's shop to set it up. The past two summers I have kayaked with Discovery and they are the best that there is. Let's see...in 2006 we had Jesse as our guide and in 2007 Dan was our guide. They were both wonderful! Their personal insight into the islands and their surroundings was a great learning experience for me. I had fun and learned a little something too. Who Knew?

My trip is scheduled for Sunday. I am taking another day trip. This is the same trip that I have taken the last two years, however, both years I had much different experiences. In '06, the winds were a little to high and the seas too rough to venture to the west side of the island, so Jesse guided our trip from the cannery and we lunched at Turn Island before returning. In '07, Dan guided our trip on the west side of the island. Both trips were equally amazing experiences. I am looking forward to whatever this year's trip had in store for me.For dinner, I made myself a little picnic and sat down at the marina by the ferry terminal. It's fun to people watch down there. You see all sorts of folks. I treated myself to a huckleberry ice cream cone and headed back to my land for the night. It was getting dark.....goodnight.

No comments: