Wednesday, June 3, 2009

San Juan Island or Bust!

I have come to the conclusion that I need to give up on the idea of catching up...especially here on my blog. Instead of saying that I will some day post pictures from past activities...I just need to do it or move on. That said, maybe some day I will stumble across the pictures that I have been promising in the previous posts and put them on here. But for now, I am proceeding with current events.

CURRENTLY: I only have one more full day to spend here in KC! Not that KC is unpleasant in any way, but the alternative is SO exciting! On Thursday, I am hitting the road! Can anyone say ROAD TRIP?!? For the past 3 summers, I have spend some length of time in Washington state on San Juan Island. Last year was a solo trip, as most of you know. This year will be as well. Actually, that is not entirely true...I will have my dog, Ranger, with me. :-) I do still have the 9 1/2 acres on the island...but it is on the market if anyone is interested. I hate to see it go, but some things are impossible to avoid. SO...I am going up to the island once again to enjoy my summer.

I cannot wait! I am driving all the way this year! Long drive...I know. At least, I know in theory. Well, I guess you can count the time we took a family vacation up to visit my Uncle in Oregon. Six people crammed into a Reliant K. In case you are unfamiliar with the ole Reliant K...it was sold as a 6 passenger car and I can attest that it did "hold" all of us. My parents and my baby brother sat in the front bench seat while my sister, brother and I were in the back. Note that I did not say "back seat." My sister, being the eldest of the clan, got prime real estate in the car. In plain English this means that she got to sprawl out across the back seat. My brother and I took turns either laying on the floor (the hump in the middle was VERY uncomfortable) or "holding" big sister's feet. I also keep having this reoccurring image of my brother laying on the ledge up against the back window...but that can't be right...can it?!? Who knows? This was before the days of seat belt laws. All I remember is that that trip was the LONGEST trip of my life!

Even though I will be driving further than the Oregon Trip of 1986, I don't think it will be THAT bad of a drive. I am planning to break it up over 4 days of driving. I'm dropping off a friend in Denver on my way so Denver will be my first stop. I plan to stop around Bozeman, MT for the second night and somewhere in Washington for night #3. I should have internet access so I'll try to post some pics of my journey.

I'm staying on San Juan for two months this summer! Last year was the longest stay at 2 weeks so this summer should be quite an adventure! I know my family doesn't really understand why I love it up there so much and are probably hoping that I will eventually tire of it. It is hard to explain. All I can say is that I know that there is a reason (in everything that has happened) for me to feel at home on San Juan. I believe that God has brought this place into my life for a reason. After all, it was totally a fluke and many coincidences that took me there in the first place. There is a reason for everything...even if we cannot see our small piece in the big picture. So...this summer I am looking forward to see what God might reveal to me about the plans that He has for me. Who knows? Maybe this is just a time for me to "Be still" and enjoy God's magnificent beauty? I don't yet know what is in store for me...but I think that it is quite exciting!!!

ROAD TRIP!!! SAN JUAN ISLAND HERE I COME!!! ROCK ISLAND OR BUST!!!

YEEHAW! I'll see you all on the road! Have a wonderful night!

No comments: