Saturday, August 8, 2009

On the Road Again!

Ahhh! Sunset!
My goodness! How time flies, especially when you are having so much fun! I am on the road heading back to Kansas City. I caught the 1:00pm ferry out of Friday Harbor. I was hoping to get an earlier start but.....you know how that goes. We don't call it "Kenyon Time" for nothing! Actually, Ranger did not have a good night last night and in turn neither did I. He watched me pack up on Thursday, grew very clinging to me, and proceeded to bark once every half hour throughout the night. Just as soon as I would start to drift off, "Ruff!" He was on my last nerve. I'm sure my growling back at him to be quiet did not help his stress level very much or mine either. SO...I slept in a little and caught a later ferry. I'm staying the night in Ellensburg, WA at that seedy motel that I stayed at on my way here. *Sorry Dad! I knew that they allow dogs and I did not want to mess with looking around too much, so here we are. I ran into some other folks from Missouri here at the motel. It's a small small world!

After getting settled into the motel...Ranger and I went out in search for some grub. I have been craving some fried chicken and sweet tea for the longest time. I did not think to look on San Juan because I wanted to get as much seafood as possible. When in Rome...you know? I asked the lady at the front desk if there was a KFC nearby. I asked if I should get back on the interstate and take the next exit because there wasn't really anything besides a Perkins at this exit. Fried chicken places are not on every corner here in the great Northwest. She told me not to take the interstate. Instead, to take a left out of the entrance and go until I got to 5th Ave. I would know where I was because I would cross some railroad tracks. Eventually, I would get downtown and there should be one down there.....and I quote, "Kentucky Fried Chicken? Ya, there's one down there. KFC? Hmmm? Ya, go that way."

To make a long story even longer...and to show you how my luck just keeps on rollin'...I followed her directions. I ended up downtown...no KFC. So I took a left. Turns out that the left I took downtown made a loop and I ended up at my hotel! Driving around for 15 minutes got me nowhere! So I decided to trust my gut and jump on the interstate and head for the next exit. Arby's, McD's, Subway, Wendy's, ect., ect., ect. No KFC. My gut could not be trusted. I decided to stop at a grocery store. I know it's not the best, but I was in the mood for some fried chicken. You know when you get in the mood for something and you just can't get it out of your mind?!? That was me tonight! So I got my chicken. It looked a little petrified, but oh well. Ranger and I started to make our way back to the hotel. What was that? Dead ahead?!? You guessed it! Just my luck right?!? A KFC sitting in the middle of nowhere. What did I do? The way I see it is that Ranger needed a good meal too. So he got the petrified chicken and I finally got my KFC. Turns out...it wasn't as good as I remember. Oh well. Chik-fil-a here I come!

As I loaded up my car Thursday night in preparation for my journey on Friday, I started to feel a little sad. I really did not want to leave. I already feel like San Juan is my home. I did not want to let myself go down the road of gloom so I headed out to catch the sunset. I know that I have said it before and I'll probably say it again and again, but sunset is my favorite time of the day. I find it very peaceful and relaxing. It's like a show God made just for me, although anyone can enjoy it if they just take the time. I grabbed the pup and we headed for the Land Bank property on the southwestern side of the island. As I approached the parking area, I could see fins in the water! Yay! The whales were close. Ranger and I situated ourselves on a bluff overlooking the water about 10-15 feet up from the water. The whales were still south of us, as were most of the people watching them. So there we were...sitting by ourselves...watching from afar.

Then they started heading our way.

They got soooo close. And I was soooo excited. I was soooo caught up in the moment that a lot of my pictures turned out blurry or too late (as in the whale breached-jumped out of the water-and all I got was the splash after it went back into the water). But I still got a few good images. So enjoy.....
Man, that was so cool! You should have seen it! :-)

Just saying hello.

"Riding" into the sunset.

WOW!

Oh my goodness! I know this is blurry, but look at how close they are!!!

The line-up

Goodbye! For now...

Here are some videos...short clips...in one of them there is an orca that is floating on the water. Listen very closely and you can hear it vocalize! Sorry for the background noise. It was very windy.



So I got on the ferry...I could hear the workers saying that they were able to get 20 cars from the overload lot...I think that they could have crammed one more in where those people are standing! Mom, I think you are right...Dad would not like driving on the ferry!


Is it just me? Doesn't it always seem like the line you get in always ends up to be the slow one? I am actually stopped here on the freeway as all the other lanes zoom by me. I can't complain too much though. This wait was really the only rush hour traffic that I hit.

What better way to wrap up my summer on San Juan than this?
Ahhh!
I will talk to you all very soon! To my friends in San Juan...I'll see you on a more permanent basis next June. I think the last d ay of school is scheduled to be 25 May 2010. That is if we do not have to make up any snow days. So June is the latest date for my relocation. It could possibly be sooner because I always keep my options open. I have to follow the job with the benefits though, especially in this economy. To my friends and family in KC and elsewhere...I'll see you soon. I have a lot of pictures and videos to show off. And next summer, you are all more than welcome to come for a visit. How does seafood, orcas, hiking, beachcombing, kayaking, awesome sunsets, etc. sound? My thoughts exactly...that is if you said "a dream come true!"

Until then...I love you all! Have a great weekend! :-)

No comments: