Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I've Got Gadgets and Gizmos A Plenty!

SNOW!!! How beautiful it was today falling ever so gently down...down...down! Although it was only a dusting, for me it was indeed a welcome sight!

I don't know about you, but it seems to me that the more technologically advanced our society gets the more we tend to depend on that technology just to function in every day life. I do not know if this is a good thing. Don't get me wrong...it is nice to use these gadgets to make life easier, but at what cost?

Do you know the phone numbers of the important people in your life or do you have to rely on address book and contact information stored in your cell phone to reach them? Do you know what film is or are you strictly digital? Do you know how to find your way around using a map (or even a compass) or do you rely heavily on your GPS to find your way? Do you constantly walk around with something stuck in your ear (headphone, earbud, bluetooth, etc.)?

Think about it for a minute...I remember hearing about a man who drove his car into a lake because his GPS told him to "turn left here." There are also the kiddos that talk to their friends via text when their friends are sitting right next to them. We use these things to make communication and life easier yet by using them we are in a sense cutting ourselves off from one another. Is this a good thing?

I sometimes wonder what we would all do if an EMP (ElectroMagnetic Pulse) went off and rendered all gadgets useless...would we even be able to function? Food for thought...would you be able to function if all of your electronics no longer worked?

Call me a romantic...or whatever...but I miss the days when people actually wrote letters to one another. I know that in this day and time it might seem archaic to go "snail mail" but there is something to be said for the written word. But alas...time goes by. New gadgets and gizmos are invented to make life better. Although I do embrace new technology, I do think that it is wise to remember the old ways. I do know how to read a map. I do shoot film along with my digital. I can recall your digits if I need to give you a call...or text :-) And although I do not have a GPS yet, I'm thinking about getting a hand-held one to go geocaching. It sounds like fun. But when I do...I will definitely look before I drive into a lake!

Consider this as you are using one of your technological marvels to read this blog...embrace new technology...learn from it...use it...(don't become one of those people whose VCR clocks would always blink 12:00!-for those of you who have only lived in the digital age-a VCR is a video cassette player-an ancient device used before the days of TIVO and DVR-where video content could be recorded onto film inside a cassette ;-)

Change can be a good thing...BUT for heavens sake PLEASE use these gadgets responsibly! I think that it is okay to use all of this "stuff" to enhance our lives when needed, but enhancing does not mean total reliance. What do you think?

Have a great evening and enjoy the snow!

No comments: